Most people ask; “How can I get my hair really long?” or “How can I let my grow?” Someone who doesn’t know a thing about hair will tell you; “Don’t get your hair cut”, end of story. Please, don’t do this. It may sound bias since we are a hair salon, but it is true. There are certain steps to letting your hair get longer the right way, so that it can be healthy. We break down the steps below:
- Be patient. It is something that many people have trouble with because they aren’t patient enough to wait for their hair to grow really long! The average rate of hair growth is about 1/2 inch per month, so you can have an idea of about how long it will take for your hair to grow to your desired length. Knowing the duration will make the process better because you know what to expect.
- Get your hair trimmed regularly before split ends take their toll on your hair. If you don’t come in regularly to get your ends trimmed, split ends will work their way up the hair strands, causing you to get more length cut off than you’d actually like. We recommend seeing your stylist every 10-12(max) weeks to get your hair trimmed. By that time, 1/3 – 1/4 of an inch will be sufficient. It will keeps your tips healthy and your look fresh!
- Use conditioner every time you shower! Conditioner will help soften and moisturize your hair because heat styling, or even heat or light from the sun, cause damage to your hair so the conditioner will help offset that.
- Don’t use shampoo every time you use conditioner. This should be clarified from our past blog post, but for those that haven’t seen it, shampooing your hair too often will dry your hair over time, which is no good.
- Every time you shower, finish with a cold rinse for about 10-15 seconds. Cold water will help your hair preserve moisture and help reduce heat damage.
We hope this helps and gets your hair really, really long. Did I forget to mention really?